Associate Director, Discovery Portfolio and Therapeutic Area Biology Operations Job - United States
Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research. Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of- the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with Merck’s world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologics. Located within the heart of the Bay area’s biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of Merck’s powerful world-class network of drug and vaccine discovery.
At Merck, we are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Every employee is building on our proud legacy of scientific breakthrough. Our ability to impact the lives of patients worldwide depends on the integrity, creativity, humility and scientific acumen of our team. We are creating a diverse organization that is inspired by invention and founded on a culture of respect and collaboration. At Merck Research Labs South San Francisco, you’ll have the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills through collaboration with talented and dedicated colleagues while advancing your career.
Operating independently, under the broad guidance of the Senior Vice President of therapeutic area biology and Director of Portfolio and Research Operations, the incumbent will manage the discovery portfolio and enable the execution of strategic and operational activities for therapeutic area biology at the San Francisco Discovery Site. The responsibilities may include but not limited to the following:
- Operations Management: Partner with SVP of Cardio-metabolic and Oncology and the east coast counterpart to drive realization of strategic and operational intent for the therapeutic area (TA) and the Organization
- Proactively identify strategic and tactical issues within or affecting TA Bio operations; recommend and implement solutions that fit within the broader context of the organization
- Track execution of strategic and operating plans for the organization
- Plan and coordinate facilities activities for the organization
- Partner with support functions (Finance, HR, IT, Facilities) to ensure appropriate support for the organization
- Manage critical TA meetings to achieve clear and actionable output
- Compose TA communications and develop/integrate business and scientific content
- Represent TA on Operations Leads Network; lead corporate/organization-driven initiatives for the function
- Discovery Portfolio Management: In collaboration with the east coast counterpart, manage discovery portfolio for Cardio-metabolic and Oncology therapeutic areas to enable rapid decision making and resource allocation
- Manage the authoritative source of Discovery portfolio for the TAs
- Drive multi-functional Discovery Review meetings that provide scientific input to teams and promote cross-functional alignment. De-convolute complex scientific discussions and issues to achieve alignment and clear output.
- Liaise between TA leadership, program teams and governance bodies to align on portfolio/program status, issues, risks, mitigation plans, and downstream impact
- Work with the TA on resource management, such as resource demand, tracking, reporting, and validation
- Act as a resource to project teams to fulfill stage gate governance requirements and advance programs
- Drive program transfers between geographical locations and program archives as needed
- Accountable for project code generation and lifecycle management; act as time tracking subject matter expert to provide guidance to colleagues and drive compliance
- Accountable for pipeline metrics for internal reporting and external benchmarking
- Responsible for up to date project core team member assignment
- Lead and Manage Projects: Serve as program manager for critical projects as designated by the senior vice president, Cardio-metabolic and Oncology, or Portfolio and Research Operations Lead
- Required: BS in Biology or related scientific discipline
- Preferred: MBA / MS and/or Ph.D. in Science
- Minimum of (7) years experience in a Pharmaceutical/Biotechnology Industry to include experience in Biology, Biological Sciences, etc
- Knowledge of Drug Discovery Research
- Knowledge of discovery laboratory layouts and equipment requirements
- Strong Project and Portfolio Management skills with experience managing major projects crossing organizational boundaries; proven ability to effectively keep teams, projects, and assignments on track and raise issues in a timely fashion.
- Highly dedicated, motivated, resilient, and flexible, capable of problem-solving and delivering on goals and objectives in a timely fashion in a scientific business model setting.
- Excellent team player who is able to work closely with fellow Ops Leads collaboratively and synergistically towards common portfolio and objectives
- Excellent interpersonal skills to establish good working relationships and collaborate with networks of employees of all levels and personalities; able to foster cooperation in others; creative problem-solver.
- Excellent communicator who knows when and how to speak up and appropriately raise issues to appropriate stakeholders and to management; keeps both team members, colleagues (as appropriate) and management fully apprised of project / initiative status and issues
- Have a strong mind set in operational excellence, able to develop plans which translate strategic objectives into executable actions and results and deliver on objectives.
- Knowledge of Cardio-metabolic and Oncology
- Project Management certification / training and / or coursework & training in Project Management
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for us all.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Research Science
Job Title:Associate Director, Discovery Portfolio and Therapeutic Area Biology Operations
Primary Location: NA-US-CA-South San Francisco
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Job Segment: Biotech, Operations Manager, Oncology, Scientist, Science, Operations, Healthcare