Associate Director, Business Development & Licensing, Discovery Transactions Job - United States
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Discovery Transactions group within Business Development & Licensing-MRL is a dynamic and highly focused group of licensing professionals responsible for delivering on an enhanced mandate for business development in support of MRL’s external strategy and objectives.
Reporting to a Director, the successful candidate will be responsible for negotiating a broad spectrum of transactions involving intellectual property rights in the discovery and preclinical stages across all therapeutic and functional areas with external academic, government and industry partners worldwide.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Working closely with Merck Research Labs (MRL) Scientists and Senior Scientific Management in applicable Therapeutic and/or Functional areas, Corporate Legal, Patent Legal, Sourcing Operations, and Finance to establish external scientific partnerships
- Educating and influencing Merck Research Scientists and Senior Management in both the negotiation/execution and relationship aspects of external partnering
- Customizing template legal agreements, including but not limited to, confidentiality, material transfer, license, evaluation, study, and research collaboration agreements based upon scientific work plans, budgets, business needs, intellectual property needs and compliance considerations
- Negotiating with external counterparts/tech transfer to execute appropriate agreements in a timely manner in support of MRL objectives
- Maintaining alignment with MRL and other internal Merck partners to deliver on intense, aggressive internal BD&L and external strategy goals set by the corporation and/or MRL
- Applying sound judgment and problem solving skills during negotiations
- Establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with counterparts in academia and government licensing offices
- Networking at industry-academia professional events to establish MRL as a partner of choice
- Minimum of a Bachelor degree in a Life Science or Chemistry discipline
- At least 5 years of experience in Biotech or Pharmaceuticals industry
- Understanding of scientific principles and the drug development process as well as an understanding of the needs and risks inherent in drug development.
- Proven demonstration of judgment, and creativity to identify issues and propose solutions to business- and discovery-stage scientific issues
- Demonstration of superb interpersonal skills and the ability to influence others
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize while supporting a large number of projects
- Exceptional written, verbal, and organizational skills
- Ongoing ability to enter and maintain accurate database records
- Masters or PhD in a Life Science or Chemistry discipline
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Business Development
Job Title:Assoc. Dir, Business Development
Primary Location: NA-US-MA-Cambridge
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): N/A
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: Cambridge
Nearest Secondary Market: Boston
Job Segment: Business Development, Biotech, Manager, Sales, Science, Management, Research