Associate Director, Business Consulting - Quality System Improvement Program Job - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Merck Production Systems (MPS) is an integrated production system for how we design, manage, and continuously improve our operations and supporting business processes, enabled through the development of our people. The MMD (Merck Manufacturing Division) MPS Team is responsible for driving MPS throughout the organization to enable change in the operating systems, management systems, and mindsets, behaviors and capabilities of our people to produce product at the highest quality, for the lowest cost, and in the shortest lead time.
Under the direction of the MPS Director, work with leaders and sites to continue embedding MPS into the business with key focus on improving the Quality Management System (QMS) across the internal and external MMD sites and functions. Approximately 50% of the time will be spent on the floor providing direct, hands on support of activities, while 25% will be spent coaching leaders within assigned area of responsibility. Due to the nature of the work and diversity of sites, expected travel will fluctuate between 25% and 50%.
MMD MPS Associate Director Description of
- Partner with leaders to improve the Quality Management System
- Partner with and consult functional leaders, plant managers and their leadership teams to develop plans and execute performance improvement activities to enhance QMS
- Develop Lean management and people development processes and plans that will lead to continuous improvement of Merck’s QMS
- Manage end-to-end processes and projects to drive results and realize intended business benefit
- Utilize various Lean and Six Sigma tools and techniques in conjunction with the House of MPS to diagnose, analyze and improve processes
- Provide coaching to effectively transfer Lean skills into the organization for the development of Lean Leaders
MMD MPS Associate Director Responsibilities & Capabilities:
- Provide guidance for Merck’s structure and operations and identify key business opportunities to enhance the QMS
- Proactively recognize and mitigate barriers to cross-functional initiatives and can act as an intermediary across divisional, geographical, and cultural boundaries
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement and challenging the status quo, while driving departmental/regional strategies that align with Merck’s long term strategy
- Manage teams to mitigate risk, allocate resources, and drive on time completion of initiatives
- Mentor others on effective communication and active listening techniques to fully understand client/customer needs and expectations
- Lead value deep process analysis through value stream mapping to measure stagnation of inventory and information and can lead kaizen to increase capacity and improve process performance
- Develop visual controls and framework to make problems visible and responds with urgency to effectively break down complex problems, lead root cause analysis, and develop effective countermeasures
- Lead and coach kaizen with a team to achieve multiple target conditions to achieve an overall challenge
- Lead kaizen to improve standardized work
- Can design balanced work to takt time, with smooth flow and leads kaizen to reduce lead time, inventory, and change-over time
- Apply DMAIC methodology and statistical analysis to solve complex problems with multiple independent variables
- Able to engage sponsor s and clients, lead major changes, and effectively coach senior leaders and value stream Managers
- Build trust and develop new relationships with internal and external clients to effectively collaborate and achieve successful outcomes at a regional/global.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a science or engineering discipline or related field
Required Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of 12 years' professional experience in a highly regulated work environment.
- Extensive experience implementing Lean initiatives.
- Experience analyzing complex end-to-end supply chains and driving process improvement
- Hands-on application of Lean tools and techniques (on both manufacturing and business processes): standardized work, scientific problem solving, value stream mapping, mistake proofing, SMED, 5S-Visual Factory
- Experience applying consultative skills: ability to influence decision making, ability to interact with all levels of the business (senior leaders to shop floor working teams), project management skills (demonstrated experience in managing large teams), solid business acumen, proven team building skills, exceptionally good listening skills, results oriented, strong analytical skills, and prior process improvement experience
- Coaching, Teaching, and driving a High Performance Organization. Proven experience in coaching and teaching others to think, behave and apply lean methods and tools. Experience enabling and leveraging diverse perspectives, talents, etc. to achieve business outcomes
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Six Sigma (Black Belt) and/or Lean certifications
- Extensive Lean application experience, deep understanding and successful application of TPS (Toyota Production System)
- Excellent skills using IT applications to organize and analyze data (MS-Access, MS-Excel, Minitab)
- Experience in operations management, manufacturing, or related disciplines
- Experience in a Vaccines or Sterile pharmaceutical environment
- Experience leading Lean projects involving Quality Management Systems
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Business Consulting
Job Title:Assoc. Dir, Business Consulting
Primary Location: NA-US-NJ-Whitehouse Station
Other Locations: NA-US-PA-West Point, NA-United States
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 3
Company Trade Name:Merck
Nearest Major Market: New Jersey
Job Segment: Consultant, Consulting, Manager, Engineer, Contract, Management, Engineering, Technology