Assoc Principal Scientist - in vitro Pharmacology Job - Singapore
As an Associate Principal Scientist and senior member of an in vitro pharmacology group, you will generate data and provide scientific leadership and strong expertise in biochemistry/ biophysics or cellular/molecular pharmacology to enable quantitative and rigorous characterization of complex protein-protein, protein-ligand or metabolite/pathway interactions at the molecular level to aid target identification and validation strategies and drive drug discovery programs across a variety of target classes.
- Provides scientific leadership and expertise in biochemistry/biophysics/ enzymology or molecular/cellular pharmacology. Implements biochemical or cellular assay development and methodologies to generate data to support molecular mechanism of action studies and hit/lead-finding activities.
- Under general scientific and administrative direction, carries out independent research projects within function or across functional groups to develop and execute on research operating plans, new research and technology assessment proposals to advance in vitro pharmacology. Proactively pre-empt and respond to emerging project needs to align with business and functional strategy.
- Contribute to and help define and implement the pharmacology research strategy aligned with MSD Research Laboratories (MRL)’s drug discovery approaches and organizational objectives and serve as a resource for technical, pharmacological, biological and drug discovery expertise.
- Identify, evaluate and recommend new technologies or capital investment opportunities to maximize the group efficiency, meet scientific objectives and promote MSD as a leader in the field, aligned with MRL strategy
- Supervise, train and mentor junior scientists to ensure continuous performance improvement and development and assist in aspects of recruitment and scientific supervision. Assist in the management of junior scientists to develop new assays employing complicated or technically-demanding methods in biochemical/cellular pharmacology.
- Operate autonomously to draft research project proposals, reports, publications and other scientific communications related to research activities. Effectively develop and present a compelling case for research proposals, working collaboratively to gain support for such proposals.
- Promotes the use of novel experimental approaches within own area including implementation of advanced laboratory equipment, design of robust scientific experiments and routinely investigates/creates innovative processes, hypotheses and methodologies. Participate as a technical specialist in cross-discipline project teams, sharing technical and biological knowledge across disciplines.
- Identify, lead or support collaborative initiatives with academic research institutes to further in vitro pharmacology, lead finding and target identification or validation approaches as part of drug discovery programs.
- Optimize technology to support scientific/business processes, seeks opportunities and provides recommendations to enhance technology and support systems and adopt a continuous improvement approach to all lab-based activities to improve safety, quality, speed, efficiency and costs.
- Ensure reliable documentation of experiments and results in electronic notebooks and other documents in compliance with company policies and project needs. Identify the need for and ensure the implementation of risk assessments and SOPs as appropriate.
- Maintain visibility, both inside and outside of functional area, leveraging literature and monitoring industry trends and developments.
- Proactively plan and execute own development strategy that applies technical and functional knowledge to design experiments/ projects that contribute to overall direction of function/discipline. Demonstrates MSD Leadership behaviors as good role examples.
- Ensure all activities comply with appropriate health and safety legislation, company codes of practice and local rules. Promote the culture of safety and compliance among colleagues.
- PhD with more than five years’ relevant experience, or BSc/MSc in Life Sciences related discipline with significant relevant independent research experience and proven track record of independent scientific achievement.
- Expertise in biochemistry/biophysics or molecular/cellular pharmacology with demonstrated experience in assay development and methodologies supporting mechanism of action studies or hit/lead validation.
- Extensive experience in state-of-the-art technologies such as LCMS, fluorescence-based techniques, SPR, calorimetry, fluorescent- or cell-based imaging, binding or reporter assays or scintillation proximity assays with demonstrated ability to perform detailed mechanistic studies.
- Ability to identify, evaluate and integrate new technologies to expand assay capabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement innovative ideas that yield significant programmatic/process impact.
- Excellent data analysis and trouble-shooting skills expected.
- Highly collaborative yet independent scientist that excels in a matrix environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, collaborative and communication skills expected.
Job: Pharmacology - DPS Job Title:Assoc Prin. Scientist, Pharmacology
Primary Location: APAC-SG-Singapore-Singapore
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Company Trade Name:MSD
Job Segment: Biochemistry, Scientific, Pharmacology, Scientist, Telecom, Science, Engineering, Healthcare, Technology