Assistant Professor in Biotechnology-driven Comparative Microbial Genomics - Denmark
- Department of Biotechnology and Bio-medicine at the Technical University of Denmark invites applications for a position as Assistant Professor in Biotechnology-driven Comparative Microbial Genomics.
- The position will be based in a section focusing on basic and applied research in microbial and cell culture-based cell factories with around 45 staff members.
- The section applies engineering strategies to primarily eukaryotic cell factories, and spans research within gene and genome editing, synthetic biology, regulation engineering, protein production, expression and discovery of bio-active compounds across cell factories, in particular yeast, filamentous fungi, plant cells and mammalian cells.
- The successful candidate is expected to contribute to the research at the department using comparative genomics in the scale of >100 fungal and bacterial genomes.
- The candidate must use genomic data to drive hypothesis-generation and support experimental strategies within biotechnology and basic research. In particular, the candidate will work on using genomic data to study gene/protein function in microbes, with a focus on secondary metabolism.
- The candidate will also be responsible for design of our infrastructure for large scale data analysis of genomic data.
- The candidate will be expected to enter collaborative projects within the section, across the department, with relevant company departments, company partners, and to international collaborators. Furthermore, the candidate is expected to contribute to fundraising activities.
- The successful candidate is expected to contribute to teaching and supervision at the department, particularly with teaching activities bridging the gap between biotechnology and bioinformatics, and educate students in data analysis, methods and handling.
Candidates must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent).
- Experience with microbial genomics, fungal and bacterial
- Programming skills, particularly Python/R/MySQL
- Design of data analysis pipelines for comparative genomics
- Mapping of phenotypes to genotypes using comparative genomics
- Experience with large scale genomic data management
- Experience with supervision of PhD, Master and Bachelor students
- Demonstrated ability to design university level courses
- Teaching experience in larger classes
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to
- experience in teaching
- scientific production and research potential at an international level
- the ability to promote and utilize research results
- an all-round experience basis, preferably including international experience
- the ability to contribute to development of internal and external cooperation
- Our company offers an interesting and challenging job in an international environment focusing on education, research, scientific advice and innovation which contribute to enhancing the economy and improving social welfare.
- We strive for academic excellence, collegial respect and freedom tempered by responsibility.
- Our company is a leading technical university in northern Europe and benchmarks with the best universities in the world.
- The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations.
- The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
- An assistant professorship is an entry-level faculty position.
- After a maximum of 4 years, the employee transfers to a position as associate professor provided that the employee is recommended for assessment and assessed as qualified.