Aquatic Specialist II (Zebrafish) - United States
For nearly 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.Business Summary
We are seeking an experienced Aquatic Specialist II for our Insourcing Solutions site located in Bethesda, MD.
Provide technical research services directly supporting the research protocols, working in partnership with research staff members in the conduct of biomedical research to include:
- Provides husbandry support for aquatic species: Zebrafish, Xenopus laevis, and Xenopus tropicalis.
- Provide colony management support in multiple facilities. Maintain accurate detailed records utilizing written log sheets and computer databases regarding colony health, water quality parameters, animal breeding, and housing or support areas as required by Institute, facility, and/or Task officials and investigators.
- Perform health checks on aquatic species and reports any abnormalities to the Facility Veterinarian.
- Assist in the culturing of live feeds.
- Assist with water quality tests.
- Assist in preventative maintenance for Zebrafish and Xenopus life support systems.
- Maintain sanitized room including trash removal and applicable procedures, without risk to the aquatic animals housed there.
- Identify, document, and report actions and findings related to daily duties as requested.
- Apply aquatic terminology to maintain effective lines of communication with fellow employees and investigators regarding colony and support duties.
- Actively interact with customers as required to solve customer requests, inquiries, and complaints and to provide assistance when applicable to job description.
The following are minimum requirements related to the Aquatic Specialist II position.
B.S. in Biological Sciences or related required; at least 10 months experience working with aquatic species in a professional environment required. AALAS certification at the ALAT level at hire or achievement of within a year.
About Insourcing Solutions Business
Charles River Insourcing Solutions℠ can streamline research by delivering operational and cost efficiencies through the strategic insourcing of GMP, GLP and non-GLP research services from discovery through safety assessment. Insourcing Solutions℠ provides you with the ability to maintain control of your facility and expertise while leveraging available space.About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 11,000 employees within 70 facilities in 18 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2016, revenue increased by 23.3% to $1.68 billion from $1.36 billion in 2015.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~70% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2016.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet