Solvay is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.
Solvay Specialty Polymers is looking for an Application Development Engineer to support the industrial and environmental segments in North America including customers in the chemical process industries, energy, and oil & gas. The incumbent will be responsible for providing technical expertise to customers and to the internal organization (commercial teams, R&D, Manufacturing, etc.). This position can be physically located at the Alpharetta, GA Site or in the Houston, TX area and will support all of polymers from the Solvay portfolio.Responsibilities:
• Work with sales and sales development teams to support application development efforts at our customers: provide guidance with polymer material selection and validation, tooling and processing assistance
• Play a key role interfacing with R&D to provide customer needs and market trends to orient product developments
• Provide technical support to help assure business success of new products launched
• Support customers in molding and extrusion trials, interface with R&D labs for material and part evaluations.
• Generate and gather material data to support new applications, coordinate work with internal and externals labs to complete datasets, write technical literature, and participate in technical and marketing activities (seminars, conferences, tech-days, etc.)
• Provide technical training both internally and externally about polymer selection and specification, applications, and processing
• Collaboratively interact and share expertise with the Customer Technical Development community Worldwide
Qualifications Basic Qualifications:
• Bachelor's Degree
• Minimum 5 years of experience in selection/specification, injection molding, and other processing of high performance/high temperature polymers
• Willing and able to travel up to 50% of the time which may include international travelPreferred Qualifications:
• Bachelor degree in Polymer Engineering, Material Science, Chemical Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering
• Previous experience or knowledge working with customers in chemical process or oil and gas industry is a plus
• A working understanding of numerical simulation tools (injection molding simulation, FEA) is a plus
• Experience working in a global/multinational organization.Knowledge-Skills-Abilities:
• Demonstrated skills managing technical problem-solving in a customer and commercial environment
• Good communication skills; responsive and service-oriented
• Able to work independently and effectively with both external customers and Solvay’s global customer technical development team.