Application Development Engineer - Automotive - United States
Solvay is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.
Solvay Specialty Polymers is looking for an Application Development Engineer to support the automotive market segments in North America. The incumbent will be responsible for providing technical application development expertise to customers and interacting with the internal organization (commercial teams, R&D, Manufacturing, etc.) to develop customer solutions. This position will be physically located in the Detroit, Michigan area and will be part of the Solvay North American Customer Technical Development (CTD) team.
• Work directly with customers in collaboration with the Sales Development team to identify application opportunities where Solvay’s specialty polymers can add value and solve customer problems.
• Work directly with the Solvay CAD/CAE team, R&D, and other CTD engineers to develop and implement solutions for customer applications. This includes polymer material selection and validation, design support for metal to plastic conversion, support for designing to reduce NVH (noise, vibration, harshness), prototyping support, tooling design recommendations, and processing assistance.
• Provide technical training both internal and external about designing with polymers, polymer selection, simulation and prototyping, and polymer processing.
• Collaboratively interact and share expertise with the global CTD team.
• Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent applicable technical degree.
• Minimum 5 years of experience in a technical role designing parts and systems for the automotive industry
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and effectively with both external customers and a globally-based internal team.
• Willing and able to travel 50% of the time, predominantly in the Detroit regional area.
• Working with polymeric materials in material selection, part design and simulation, application development, moldflow analysis, tooling, and material processing
• Specific experience in NVH design strongly desired
• Experience with numerical simulation tools (injection molding simulation, FEA) is a plus.
• Strong analytical skills, technically-oriented.
• Good communication skills.
• Ability to apply technical knowledge in a customer-facing and commercial environment.