Aphea.Bio: Microbiome Scientist - Microbiologist
Aphea.Bio is a young start-up company that focuses on the exploitation of natural, beneficial interactions that occur between microorganisms and plants. Aphea.Bio discovers and develops new biology-based agricultural products for crop protection and crop improvement, hence shaping a more sustainable agriculture.
We are seeking highly motivated and innovative scientists to help us carry out the research and development of novel and superior agricultural biological products. Successful candidates will become part of a committed, creative and highly dynamic team with opportunities to take responsibility and for personal development.
Aphea.Bio is based in Gent, Belgium embedded in the largest European Agro-Biotech valley.
To strengthen its R&D team Aphea.Bio is looking for a microbiologist that will be responsible for all microbiome research in support of newly discovered microorganism-based candidates.
- Build-up and maintain a unique collection of micro-organisms (bacteria and fungi) and microbe-derived compounds
- Bacterial culturing for application to plants
- Identify and characterize micro-organisms e.g. via sequencing techniques, MALDI-TOF
- Fine-tune and validate greenhouse screening of micro-organisms and microbe-derived compounds for growth promotion and fungal biocontrol activities
- Support the determination of the optimal formulation for microorganism application to crops
- Manage external research collaborations in an efficient manner to meet project deadlines
- Identify and leverage advances in microbiome research as well as new technologies to impact programsMaintain detailed records of procedures and results
- Support and coach the technical team
- Be an active member of the R&D leadership team
- Deep knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of microbiology research including isolation and culturing conditions for various microorganisms, formulation and fermentation technologies
- Experience in soil-microbiome & -ecology research
- Ability to design, organize and maintain an extensive microbial collection
- Strong ability to coordinate collaborations with external parties
- Ability to think strategically and creatively with regard to development of microbial products
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret scientific journal articles, technical procedures, and government regulations
- Strong capability to communicate and present data to R&D leadership team
- Experience in coaching and supervising technical staff
Education and Experience:
- Ph.D. in Microbiology (or equal through relevant experience) or related degree
- At least five years of work experience in agricultural industry responsible for (soil, plant) microbiology research
- Computer skills: proficiency in Word, Power Point and Excel applications. Experience with data management and statistics software is a plus
- Language skills: fluent in English (written and verbal)
- Interpersonal skills: team player, creative, communicative, optimist, committed, flexible, entrepreneurial, organized, problem-solver