Hours: 1st Shift – Monday through Friday - 7:00am to 3:30pm (two 15 minute breaks and 1/2 hour for lunch)
Ability to work rotating weekends and holidays (planned in advance) is required
Ability to work OT is required (approximately 4-6 hours weekly)
Location: Lincoln, NE
Term: 1 year with possibility of extension (depending on performance)
The position will provide general animal care and husbandry support of routine and/or research study animals. This includes large animals, companion animals, and laboratory animals.
• High School graduate or equivalent (required), and 1 year of related experience to two years associate degree in science (preferred, not required)
• Two to three years relevant experience with relevant science based college courses (preferred, not required)
• Previous experience working with animals is a (preferred, not required)
• Assist/Perform general facilities and equipment procedures/operations
• Assist/Perform with assigned laboratory animal care and husbandry procedures
• Maintain animal testing supplies and reagents within work area
• Assist in general building and laboratory duties (i.e. lab cleaning, equipment maintenance)
• Assist/Perform basic animal laboratory techniques/procedures as per training and SOP
• Assist with assigned laboratory animal testing
• Perform basic aseptic laboratory procedures as per training and SOPs
• Learn and comply with all Standard Operating Procedures and documentation.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Other Important Requirement & Information
• Uniforms and secondary gowning including masks, gloves and respirators are required.
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
• Walking and standing required with occasional need to sit, kneel, crouch, climb and reach with hands and arms.
• Perform multiple hand manipulations.
• No asthma or allergies
• Immunizations required
• Ability to work flexible hours, overtime and weekend work required.
• Valid driver's license required
• Exposure to temperature variations.
• Disagreeable odors and dust.
• Constant standing.
• Potential animal bites and scratches.
• High noise levels, hearing protection required in certain areas or rooms.
• Exposure to flying objects and liquids, safety glasses required.
• ANSI 75 safety shoes required. (Steel toe boots or shoes with ANSI 75 rating)
• Exposure to cleaning agents and chemicals, apron, rubber gloves and face shield required when handling.
• Great communication skills
• Ability to work in a team environment and work well with others
• Ability to work independently
• Ability to be proactive
• Comfortable interacting and caring for large, companion, and lab animals