Animal Care Technician I - United States
Charles River (company)
- Provide general husbandry and perform cage change procedures following customer Guidance Documents.
- Perform daily health observations with demonstrated ability to recognize and report abnormalities and common signs of illness
- Handle and restrain rodents.
- Maintain accurate records (e.g. documentation of various facility procedures & metrics).
- Perform routine facility sanitation procedures; maintain a clean, clutter-free facility.
- Prepare and stock room supplies
- Monitor and record facility environmental parameters.
- Perform euthanasia procedures as directed
- Perform sentinel husbandry procedures to include assisting in receiving , housing and shipping sentinel animals as requested
- Assist in receiving process; monitor the inventory and provide order requests for animal food, bedding and enrichment
- Operate husbandry-related equipment (e.g. cage washers, autoclaves, laminar air flow cabinets, etc.) using approved validation technologies.
- Wash, autoclave and prepare caging and equipment.
- Recognize and appropriately respond to facility alarms.
- Discard expired (non-regulated) supplies.
- Adhere to proper handling and disposal procedures for hazardous materials.
- Keep assigned areas well maintained.
- Foster a safe work environment for self and colleagues.
- Provide logistical support, standard supplies and caging/ equipment for investigators.
- May provide study support on non-invasive techniques including, but not limited to, animal fasting, body weight, food and water measurement, mating, plug check, etc.
Bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences or related discipline or Veterinary Technician certification and no experience OR High School Diploma/GED and one (1) year related husbandry and technical experience required. AALAS certification at the ALAT level/CALAS initial level preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity