Animal Care Technician I - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
- Review, comprehend and comply with all SOPs and quality assurance standards pertaining to laboratory animals for research.
- Monitor daily animal health and welfare while performing daily animal health observations. Perform animal husbandry duties to maintain quality and health of research animals, to include: perform daily water bottle /automatic water line and cage checks; provide appropriate food and water; perform cage changing and/or cage cleaning as required; record animal health concerns per SOP and/or specified protocols.
- Perform daily cage wash duties and sanitation.
- Maintain accurate records of animal breeding, health, and housing/isolator or support areas as required by Institute and facility.
- Assist with restraint, handling and manipulation of various animal species as assigned by the on-site supervisor or facility veterinarian.
- Dispose of animal carcasses following established procedures.
- Strictly follow all procedures necessary to maintain animal housing areas or isolator environments, including room or facility personnel entry and personnel protective equipment use.
- Receive, inspect and put away incoming animals; ensure and provide for sentinel animals in each rodent housing area.
- May be involved in strictly maintaining and following breeding and weaning procedures to ensure appropriate production levels.
- Operate equipment and use supplies according to safety guidelines; perform general housekeeping and adhere to safety procedures.
- Maintain required attendance level and adherence to work schedule in accordance with required staffing levels in order to ensure that assigned duties are completed.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned
- Education: High school diploma, General Education Degree (G.E.D.) or equivalent required.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) in animal or life sciences field preferred.
- Experience: Minimum of one year directly related laboratory animal experience in an AAALAC accredited facility.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: AALAS Certification at the ALAT level preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity