Animal Care Technician I - United States
Want to know company name or location? Company managed [?]
For nearly 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
We are seeking an experienced Animal Care Technician I for our Safety Assessment site located in Shrewsbury.
Responsible for performing operational, administrative and technical tasks to provide comprehensive care for all species of laboratory animals at the site, including: daily health observations, feeding/watering, sanitizing primary and secondary enclosures, environmental enrichment, handling and restraint and related tasks. Assist with the movement of animals and stocking of supplies. May serve as lead/primary technician and perform technical duties with guidance.
About Safety Assessment
Charles River is committed to helping our partners expedite their preclinical drug development with exceptional safety assessment services, state-of-the-art facilities and expert regulatory guidance. From individual specialty toxicology and IND enabling studies to tailored packages and total laboratory support, our deeply experienced team can design and execute programs that anticipate challenges and avoid roadblocks for a smooth, efficient journey to market. Each year approximately 120 investigational new drug (IND) programs are conducted in our Safety Assessment facilities.Qualifications
The following are minimum requirements related to the Animal Care Technician I position.
- May serve as lead/primary technician and perform technical duties with guidance.
- Handle, restrain, and provide care for all species of animals at the site.
- Observe animals for general health and overall well being.
- Clean primary enclosure and enclosure area for animals.
- Sanitize cages, enrichment devices and other related equipment.
- Measure and distribute feed to animals in accordance with established procedures.
- Provide environmental enrichment.
- Inspect feeding and watering devices for proper function.
- Perform all tasks in compliance with Good Laboratory Practice Regulations (GLPs) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Review documentation of functions performed as part of quality control requirements.
- Perform quarantine & isolation procedures as they relate to husbandry tasks.
- Perform duties associated with the transportation, receipt, transfer and distribution of animals as assigned.
- Perform cagewash duties as assigned.
- Collect laboratory data and independently use equipment related to the collection of data.
- May perform basic veterinary technical and husbandry tasks with guidance, including the following:
- Administration of various therapeutic measures by IV, IM, SQ, topical, oral routes, etc.
- Bandage/wrapping techniques.
- Nail/hoof/teeth clipping/trimming.
- Venipuncture techniques.
- Vaginal swabs.
- Proficient animal restraint techniques.
- Monitor critical care animals (i.e., place IVs, monitor fluids, etc.).
- Perform all other related duties as assigned [Insert bulleted list of requirements that an applicant must have to be considered a candidate for the role.]
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 11,000 employees within 70 facilities in 18 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2016, revenue increased by 23.3% to $1.68 billion from $1.36 billion in 2015.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~70% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2016.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet