Responsible for performing operational, administrative and technical tasks to provide comprehensive care for all species of laboratory animals at the site, including: daily health observations, feeding/watering, sanitizing primary and secondary enclosures, environmental enrichment, handling and restraint and related tasks. Assist with the movement of animals and stocking of supplies. May serve as lead/primary technician and perform technical duties with guidance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• May serve as lead/primary technician and perform technical duties.
•Handle, restrain, and provide care for all species of animals at the site.
•Observe animals for general health and overall well being.
•Clean primary enclosure and enclosure area for animals.
•Sanitize cages, enrichment devices and other related equipment.
•Measure and distribute feed to animals in accordance with established procedures.
•Provide environmental enrichment.
•Inspect feeding and watering devices for proper function.
•Perform all tasks in compliance with Good Laboratory Practice Regulations (GLPs) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
•Review documentation of functions performed as part of quality control requirements.
•Perform quarantine & isolation procedures as they relate to husbandry tasks.
•Perform duties associated with the transportation, receipt, transfer and distribution of animals as assigned.
•Perform cage wash and any other duties necessary to ensure proper care of the laboratory animals as assigned.
•Collect laboratory data and independently use equipment related to the collection of data.
•Collect and report animal census data.
•Perform basic and some intermediate veterinary technical and husbandry tasks independently, including the following:
oAdministration of various therapeutic measures by IV, IM, SQ, topical, oral routes, etc.
oProficient animal restraint techniques.
oMonitor critical care animals (i.e., place IVs, monitor fluids, etc.).
•Perform all other related duties as assigned.
Shift Schedule: Sun-Thurs
- High school diploma or General Education Degree (G.E.D.) required.
- Experience: Minimum of 6 months related experience in animal research and/or husbandry preferred or must have demonstrated full knowledge of competencies and positive performance at the previous level. Experience working in a regulated environment preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: AALAS certification at the ALAT level preferred
- Other: Ability to handle common laboratory animal species. Basic knowledge of GLP regulations preferred. Ability to work on assignments that are semi-routine in nature in which ability to recognize deviation from accepted practice is required. Ability to receive and understand general instructions on routine work and detailed instructions on new assignments.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet