This job is currently Archived,
Animal Care Technician I - United States
Charles River (company)
Posted on : 08 May 2017
- Apply your knowledge and experience in the animal science environment as you take your career to the next level!
- This is your opportunity to join our dedicated team of technicians supporting researchers from around the globe.
- Your primary role will include providing technical research services directly supporting the research protocols, working in partnership with research staff members in the conduct of biomedical research to include:
- Reviews, comprehends and complies with all SOP's and quality assurance standards pertaining to specific area.
- Monitors daily animal health and welfare while performing daily animal health observations, animal husbandry duties to maintain quality and health of research animals, to include: perform daily water bottle /automatic water line and cage checks; provide appropriate food and water;
- perform cage changing and/or cage cleaning as required; record animal health concerns per SOP and/or specified protocols.
- Maintains accurate records of animal breeding, health, and housing/isolator or support areas as required by Institute and facility.
- Assists with restraint, handling and manipulation of various animal species as assigned by the on-site Supervisor or facility veterinarian.
- Strictly follows all procedures necessary to maintain animal housing areas or semi-rigid isolator environments, including room or facility personnel entry; personnel protective equipment use, spraying in all equipment and materials into controlled areas.
- Receives, inspects and puts away incoming animals; ensures and provides for sentinel animals in each rodent housing area.
- May be involved in strictly maintaining and following breeding and weaning procedures to ensure appropriate production levels.
The successful candidate will possess:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED);
- 1 year of animal husbandry experience in an animal research facility OR BS degree in Animal Science or related discipline with some animal care experience preferred. AALAS certification at the Assistant Technician (ALAT) level preferred OR achievement of ALAT certification within one year of assignment required.
- Training materials are provided and exam is paid for by our company.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Our lab is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet