- Reviews, comprehends and complies with all SOP's and quality assurance standards pertaining to specific area.
- Monitors daily animal health and welfare while performing daily animal health observations, animal husbandry duties to maintain quality and health of research animals, to include: perform daily water bottle /automatic water line and cage checks; provide appropriate food and water; perform cage changing and/or cage cleaning as required; record animal health concerns per SOP and/or specified protocols.
- Assists with restraint, handling and manipulation of various animal species as assigned by the on-site Supervisor or facility veterinarian.
- Performs weights and grooming for various animals.
- Assists in providing medical treatments/supplements as directed.
- Strictly follows all procedures necessary to maintain animal housing areas including room or facility personnel entry and personnel protective equipment use.
- Receives, inspects and puts away incoming animals; ensures and provides for sentinel animals in each rodent housing area.
- May be involved in strictly maintaining and following breeding and weaning procedures to ensure appropriate production levels.
- May assist in environmental enrichment.
- Operates equipment and uses supplies according to safety guidelines; performs general housekeeping and adheres to safety procedures.
- Education: High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- Experience: 6 months experience working in an animal research facility is required; animal care and husbandry experience is preferred. Small animal (rodent) experience is preferred.
- Certification/Licensure: AALAS certification at the Assistant Technician (ALAT) level preferred OR achievement of ALAT certification within one year of assignment required.