This job is currently Archived,
Animal Care Specialist II - United States
Charles River (company)
Posted on : 29 May 2017
- The individual in this position will be involved in all aspects of animal care for the in vivo services group.
- This position is hands-on with responsibilities including, but not limited to animal husbandry, animal handling and restraint, treatment administration, animal health observations, cage changes, room sanitization and accurate documentation of animal health records.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform in vivo husbandry procedures including animal receipt
- Observes, records and reports atypical findings of the environment, facility and animal health
- Administer treatments via various routes
- Collect and process biological samples according to appropriate protocol and SOP requirements
- Provide quality care and health monitoring for all animals
- Identify and report any facility related issues or animal health concerns as necessary
- Interact with veterinary staff to convey and assist with animal health issues
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment
- Adhere to all applicable guidelines for the care and use of animals in research
- Perform facility sanitization, including animal rooms, hallways and other areas of the facility as needed
- Clearly and accurately document procedures including husbandry and sanitization
- Ensure that raw data records are accurate, complete and in appropriate order
- Maintain accurate animal health and census records
- Stock facilities with supplies needed for daily operations
- Assist with review, development and improvement of departments forms and SOPs
- Follow company SOPs, Policies, and Practices
- Assist Veterinary Staff with animal care as requested, such as physical examinations
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Education: High school diploma or General Education Degree (G.E.D.) required. Associate’s degree (A.A./A.S.) in animal science or related field preferred.
- Experience: At least 2 years related experience in animal research and/or husbandry or must have fully satisfied technical and experience requirements for the previous level.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
- Certification/Licensure: ALAT preferred.
- Other: Ability to handle common laboratory species. Effective communication and listening skills in a teamwork environment. Excellent organization skills with minimal supervision enabling effective management of multiple, concurrent tasks and priorities. Proficient in basic technical skills and the operation of data collection equipment. Knowledge of GLPs and other federal regulations and guidelines relating to the care of laboratory animals. Basic understanding of study design and protocols.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Our company is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disabled/Vet