Freelance Worker, (R&D Project/Proposal Consultant) San Sebastián, Spain
November 2012 --- December 2013
▪ Drafting technological research proposals/projects addressed to the development of catalysts,
reactors and chemical process for applications in both industrial and renewable energy sector.
▪ Searching for partners and contacts to consolidate R&D collaboration groups.
▪ Identifying product improvements or new products by remaining current on industry trends,
market activities, and competitors.
▪ Preparing reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information.
▪ Maintaining professional and technical knowledge by reviewing professional publications,
establishing personal networks, benchmarking state-of-the-art practices and participating in
Senior Research Scientist San Sebastián, Spain
June 2008 --- October 2012
▪ Leader of research projects at regional, state and European level.
▪ Coordination of company's own strategic research projects, addressed to the development of
catalysts and advanced reactor for the Bioenergy sector.
▪ Drafting of research proposals for getting funding from local, regional, state and European calls.
▪ Participation in national and International conferences.
▪ Technical Leader of a WP within the DEMCAMER European project, focused on development of
membrane reactors for FTS.
▪ Getting funds for the purchase of advanced laboratory equipment and materials
▪ TECNALIA ’s Representative at the first FP7 ERA-NET project known as AERTOs.
▪ Responsible of a R&D technical group and the supervision of BSc and PhD students.
▪ In Bioenergy: Production of liquid biofuels via FTS and H2/syngas production from Biogas
reforming and Biomass gasification.
▪ Design & manufacturing of novel compact reaction systems (small modular reactors) based on
microchannel modules built in one-piece and in one step by using of an unconventional own
▪ Preparation, characterization and testing of novel advanced catalyst formulations for FTS using
conventional and unconventional methods to deposit catalyst layers on the surface of advanced
▪ Preparation and characterization of stable suspensions based on commercial and homemade
catalysts for the coating of structured surfaces.
▪ Synthesis and characterization of electrocatalyst materials based on crytomelane-type
manganese oxides and perovskite-type bimetallic oxides for the oxygen reduction and evolution
reactions (ORR and OER) in Zn-air batteries. Active catalyst material coatings onto metal
electrodes for H2 evolution reaction (HER) in the water electrolysis by atmospheric plasma
spraying (APS) and PVD-Magnetron Sputtering (PVD-MS).
▪ Operation and set-up of various catalyst test rigs for FTS (at high pressure) and for methane
reforming (at high temperature).
▪ Development of GC and HPLC methods for the analysis of reaction mixtures derived from FTS
and Reforming Tests.
Postdoctoral Researcher San Sebastián, Spain
March 2006 --- May 2008
▪ Development and Preparation of FTS powder catalysts by several methods: wet impregnation,
homogeneous precipitation deposition (HPD), liquid phase deposition methods (washcoating), etc.
▪ Characterization of FTS catalysts by several techniques, such as: area BET, AA, XRD, TPR, TPD,
TPO, H2 Pulse Chemisorption, SEM, etc.
▪ Operation and maintenance of the before mentioned characterization equipment.
▪ Preparation and characterization of FTS catalyst suspensions/slurries for the coating of structured
supports (monoliths, micromonoliths, foams and microchannels reactors).
▪ Development of deposition strategies for the coating of thin FTS catalyst layers onto the surface of
metallic structured supports.
▪ Assessment of catalytic tests using powder and structured catalysts on FTS.
▪ Drafting of several scientific papers and reports.
Researcher (Professional I) Los Teques, Miranda, Venezuela
September 2004 --- December 2005
▪ R&D activities on Additives for the Fluid Catalytic Cracking (FCC) of Liquid Hydrocarbons.
▪ Hydrothermal synthesis of mesoporous materials developed and patented by PDVSA-INTEVEP,
S.A., (e.g. ST-5 zeolite and INT-MM1 mesoporous silica).
▪ Scale-up activities of such materials by extrusion techniques in terms of kg for their application in a
FCC pilot plant.
▪ Assessment of such catalysts at bench and pilot plant scale.
Assistant Researcher & PhD Student Los Teques, Miranda, Venezuela
May 2002 --- August 2004
▪ Experimental work on my PhD Thesis: Synthesis, formulation and characterization of new powder
catalysts for the autothermal reforming (ATR) of liquid hydrocarbon (HC´s) fuels.
▪ Strategic research activities based on the state of the art of hydrogen, new fuels and energy
▪ Preparation, characterization and testing of bimetallic catalysts based on Ni-Co supported on INTMM1
▪ Installing & Commissioning activities of ATR plant at bench-scale for the conversion of liquid
hydrocarbons into hydrogen using both extruded catalysts (pellets) and structured catalysts
(bimetallic catalysts based on Ni-Co supported on INT-MM1 mesoporous silica).
▪ Fundamental study on the preparation of structured, extruded and powder catalysts for the ATR
reforming of HC´s.
▪ Development of an extrusion procedure for shaping of ATR catalysts.
PhD Student in Internship (research stay) San Sebastián, Spain
March 2004 --- July 2004
▪ Preparation of structured catalysts based on the development of a liquid phase method for the
deposition of mesoporous silica and Co–Ni catalyst onto the surface of several structured supports
(metal structured packings, monoliths, SiC and alumina ceramic foams).
▪ Preparation and characterization of slurries based on mesoporous silica and supported Co–Ni
catalysts for washcoating tests.
▪ Catalytic assessment of structured catalysts on the oxidation of Volatile Organic Compounds
Researcher (Professional I) Los Teques, Miranda, Venezuela
November 2001 --- February 2002
▪ Synthesis of ordered mesoporous materials (OMM) based on INT-MM1 mesoporous silica as a
catalyst support for applications in gas reforming processes.
▪ Preparation, characterization and testing of Ni-Co catalysts supported on OMM for the Dry
Reforming of Methane.
Assistant Researcher Caracas, Capital District, Venezuela
June 2000 --- May 2001
▪ Installing & commissioning of automated test rigs for the catalytic assessment of catalysts for
hydrogen and syngas production from natural gas via Steam and Dry Reforming Technologies
and Fischer-Tropsch synthesis, respectively.
▪ Synthesis and characterization of new catalyst precursors based on perovskite-type oxides for
methane reforming technologies.
Analytical thinkingAdaptabilityAttention to detailEfficiencyFlexibilityOptimismProactivityProblem solvingResult OrientedSelf-confidenceSociabilityTrust
Labtechnician R&DAnalytical ChemistryAnalytical techniquesCharacterizationChemical EngineeringChemistryChromatographyEnglishExperimentationgas chromatographyHPLCInductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS)Laboratory ResearchLaboratory TechniquesLabtechnicianLeadershipLiquid Chromatography-UV (LC-UV)Microsoft ExcelMicrosoft OfficeMicrosoft PowerpointMicrosoft WordNanotechnologyPowerPointProject ManagementReport WritingResearchSocial MediaSpectroscopy
Skills and Expertise
Write papers Analytical skills Lab scale batches Report data Technology researchAttend investigator meetingAttend seminars, courses and meetings within and outside the companybudgeting of R&D activitiescollaborate in research projects at universitiesCollaborate with principal investigatorCollaborate with project teamCommunicate effectively on different company levelsCommunicate with investigatorCoordinate projectsEvaluate physico-chemical data of lab scale/pilot scale batchesExecute scientific projectsFollow up projectsIdentify market opportunitiesIdentify risksInterpret dataInterpret research resultsInventory ManagementLead studiesLead teamsManage front deskManage multiple projectsManage research projectsManuscript preparationManuscript preparation and reviewOperate research equipmentPlan experimentsPrepare final reportPresent data at congressproject managementProvide technical supportPublication of articlesR&DReport study conclusionsResearch at universitiesSet up research projectsSolve problemsSupervise PhD studentsSupervise techniciansTeach university studentsTeachingTrain on site staffUnderstand protocolsUse laboratory techniques
Ph.D. in Chemistry from Universidad Central de Venezuela in 2005
B.Sc. in Chemistry from Universidad Central de Venezuela in 2000