Scientist and Lab Manager Maastricht, Netherlands
June 2014 --- May 2015
- Developed and managed R&D projects related to health benefits of vitamins and foods.
- Supervised team of research technicians and advised on laboratory experiments (mammalian cell culture, SDS-PAGE, western blotting (WB), ELISA, immunohistochemistry, sequence analysis and epitope selection for generation of conformation-specific antibodies).
- Responsible for keeping SOPs up-to-date and for maintaining ISO certification for part of the company’s operations.
- Analyzed and interpreted research data, wrote study reports.
- Advised and maintained connections with clients.
- Involved in establishing new company division to offer services as CRO (contract research organisation): developed website content and selected panels of biomarker assays to distinguish between conditions associated with cardiovascular disease in patients and volunteers in intervention trials.
- Reported to CSO and CEO.
Postdoctoral Research Associate and Scientist Woods Hole, USA
November 2008 --- August 2013
- Researched mechanisms by which arsenic disrupts hormone system:
- 1) Established mammalian cell line stable for expression of fluorescently labelled Glucocorticoid Receptor and studied effects of arsenic on it in live cells using microscopy and image analysis software.
2) Studied effects of arsenic on proliferation and differentiation in mammalian cell cultures, and on (prenatal) development and metabolism in mice.
- Developed and planned research projects, performed experiments, wrote protocols.
- Responsible for setting up lab, and for daily management, budgeting, and maintenance of lab.
- Supervised and coached team of students and lab assistants.
- Documented, analysed, and reported/presented research results.
- Hosted, and collaborated with other (visiting) researchers.
- Reported to CASO (Chief Academic and Scientific Officer) of the institute.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow Boston, MA, United States
February 2006 --- November 2008
- Optimized and used mammalian cell-based assays to study effects of blood lipids and proteins on inflammation in endothelial and immune cells.
- Planned and performed experiments, wrote protocols.
- Documented, analysed, and reported research results.
- Reported to Principal Investigator.
Analytical thinkingAttention to detailDiligenceProblem solvingInterest in knowledgeCuriosityCritical thinkingResiliencyEfficiencyAuthenticityCoordinationKindnessIndependenceService orientedSelf-disciplineStrategic thinkingCollaborationResponsibilityResult OrientedCreative thinkingProactivity
Western BlottingCell Based AssaysCell CultureMammalian Cell CultureMicroscopyDNA extractionPCR DiabetesBioinformaticsnext generation sequencingProteinsProtocolGood Laboratory Practice (GLP)Laboratory ResearchLaboratory SkillsLaboratory TechniquesLaboratory testingAssay developmentMetabolismProcess improvement
Western BlottingTroubleshootingTransfectionToxicologySDS-PAGEScientific methodologyRT-PCRQuantitative PCR (qPCR)R&DProtein ExpressionPre-clinical researchProject ManagementLaboratory study design Cell biology BiochemistryAntibodiesBiomarkersCardiovascular diseases DiabetesCell CultureAnimal ModelsConfocal MicroscopyDNA extractionEndocrinology and metabolismEnzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA)Fluorescence MicroscopyICH GCP guidelinesGood Laboratory Practice (GLP)ImmunofluorescenceImmunohistochemistry (IHC)ImmunoprecipitationIn VitroInflammationMicrobiologyMicrosoft OfficeMolecular & Cellular BiologyMolecular CloningOxidative stressProcess improvementMicroscopyMammalian Cell CultureImmunocytochemistry (ICC)Cell Based AssaysMicrobiological TechniquesMicrosoft ExcelMicrosoft PowerpointMicrosoft WordGraphPad Prismrecombinant DNA technology
Skills and Expertise
Plan experimentsDesign scientific experimentsUse laboratory techniques Use a confocal microscopyUse fluorescence microscopyCoach staff Guide studentsCreate standard operating procedure (SOP) Develop protocolsUse western blotting technique
Analyze data Develop protocols Guide students Interpret dataAdjust processes and methodsAssist with experimentsBiomarker ResearchConduct literature searchesConfocal microscopycoordinating research projectsCreate standard operating procedure (SOP)Manage laboratory proceduresmanaging a small teamObserve trends in dataOperate research equipmentWrite protocolsUse western blotting techniqueSupervise techniciansSetup of research equipmentRead medical literatureProvide trainingCollaborate with project teamEvaluate protocolsExecute scientific projectsInteract with pre-clinical scientistsManuscript preparation and reviewOrganize scientific projects (in biology)Publish scientific projectsReport dataStatistical analysis Use a confocal microscopyUse fluorescence microscopyUse laboratory techniquesProvide support for scientific and/or technical projectsCell cultureAdjust processes Supervise analysts and researchersReview dataReview experimental plansReview reports
Ph.D. in Nutrition, Food Technology and Biotechnology from Wageningen University in 2006
Master in Cell and Molecular Biology from Wageningen University in 2000
Training and Certification
ICH-GCP guidelines: Basiscursus Regelgeving en Organisatie Klinisch-wetenschappelijk onderzoek (BROK) in 2015 Certification
Principles of laboratory animal science (WOD, art. 9, equals FELASA C) in 2002 Certification
Praktische stralingsdeskundigheid 5B (working safely with radioactive materials and sources) in 1999 Certification
Expert has 10 publications (Will be avalible with full profile)