A versatile, goal-oriented life scientist with a blended background of research, teaching, project management and pharmaceutical sales: 10+ years of experience in academia and industry. Proven ability of managing multiple projects at a time, solving problems, building partnerships, and working both independently and as a part of cross-functional teams.
Post-doctoral Researcher Ghent, Belgium
Since January 2015
Leading scientific project and conducting research to experimentally validate in silico results.
- Evaluated project merits with research superiors to define research goals and timeframe, involved in planning budget and writing proposal for funding
- Set up and optimized an experimental system entirely new to the research group by using personal experience, reviewing scientific literature and troubleshooting of novel protocols
- Supervising students, and discussing project outcomes and exchanging ideas with the team of bioinformaticians and biologists to achieve the objectives
National Project Manager Istanbul, Turkey
February 2013 --- February 2014
Selected for a challenging position and coordinated turnaround of the least active member country of the SFL Initiative, a unique European platform which aims to shape health care systems and medical practices in the area of cardiology.
- Resolved long-standing impediments: Reassembled the implementing committee • Improved data collection, analysis, and reporting • Developed strong relationships with partners (pharmaceutical companies, cardiologists, government authorities and local media)
- Increased funding threefold by !150.000 in a short time frame by recruiting new industry partners
- Prepared the launch of a public awareness campaign by working with an advertising agency
- Coordinated the SFL session at the “29th Turkish Cardiology Congress” (3.300 participants from several countries)
- Successfully represented the project and the country both in internal and international meetings
Research Associate Houston, TX, United States
May 2012 --- August 2012
- Designed a follow-up research plan to my dissertation project
- Trained two Ph.D. students on the research, yielding two manuscripts within the following year
Research & Teaching Assistant Houston, TX, United States
September 2006 --- April 2012
To investigate miRNAs as potential cancer therapeutics, independently lead, planned and executed productive research by working methodically and with high attention to detail.
- Showed excellent multitasking skills, simultaneously: Conducted research • Collaborated with other research groups • Managed and purchased lab resources, dealt with equipment suppliers • Taught classes • Presented at seminars and international conferences • Took courses
- Acquired professional level of scientific knowledge on multiple subjects including oncology, biochemistry, molecular & cell biology, and genomics
- Overcame obstacles by troubleshooting, finding alternative solutions, and obtaining expertise from colleagues
- Generated, analyzed and interpreted complex data using empirical research along with bioinformatics approaches
- Produced multiple peer-reviewed papers and delivered written reports on a regular basis to the Ph.D. committee by working with a goal- and deadline-oriented attitude and self-motivation
Medical Representative Istanbul, Turkey
August 2002 --- March 2005
Entrusted with the sales of one of the most populated and competitive regions of the market.
- Planned high-impact schedule of client visits and established strong relationships with over 180 medical doctors and pharmacists to accelerate sales
- Accomplished all marketing objectives and always reached above 100% of the yearly quota
- Trained new sales representatives
Analytical thinkingIndependenceStrategic thinkingTrustSociabilitySelf-disciplineSelf-confidenceProblem solvingOrientationInterest in knowledgeEfficiencyCuriosityCreative thinkingCritical thinkingCoordinationCollaborationAttention to detailIndividuality
CancerBiopharmaceuticalsCommunication SkillsCAPA Animal modelsBiomarkersCross-functional team leadership Biochemistry Cell biology Scientific writingCell CultureDNA extractionDNADNA sequencingDrug metabolismRT-PCRScientific WritingCardiologyLaboratory study designProblem-solving methods and troubleshootingTeam LeadershipmiRNAstem cell biologyMicroarrayProject ManagementGeneticsFlow CytometryMicroscopy NegotiationFluorescent microscopyMolecular & Cellular BiologyMolecular CloningData AnalysisoncologyMedical affairsKOL management pharmaceutical industry
Skills and Expertise
Interact with nursesMaintenance of biomedical equipmentManuscript preparationManuscript preparation and reviewManuscript reviewmanaging a small teamMonitor dataNegotiate budget Negotiate payment schedulesNetworkOffice management Design case record formsManage study supplyInteract with physiciansInteract with pharmacistsInteract with pre-clinical scientistsInterpret dataLiaise with doctorsLiaise with research teamlifescienceManage laboratory proceduresManage projects resourcesManage study budgetOral presentationOrganise meetingsWork under specific instructionsVerify dataValidate dataUse western blotting techniqueTrain on site staffSupervise techniciansSolve problemsShipment of biological specimenSearch literature on clinical trialsPublish scientific projectsWrite papersWrite protocolsOperate research equipmentOrganise steering committeeOrganize scientific projects (in biology)Participate in medical reviewProvide trainingPreparing referral lettersPublication of articlesPresent data at congressWritten presentation Control dataReview data interpretationImplement data collection system Analyze dataAdministrative supportAnalyze dataAssist with experimentsAssist with proceduresAttend seminarsAttend steering committeeBiomarker Researchbudgeting of R&D activitiesCoach staffCollaborate with medical teamAdminister supply requestAdjust processes and methods Develop protocols Interact with physicians Interact with nurses Guide students Interpret data Lab scale batches Report data Search literature on clinical trials Use a confocal microscopy Write papersCollaborate with principal investigatorCollaborate with project teamDesign study documentsDevelop study budgetDevelop study timelinesdrafting grant applicationsEnsure data consistencyEvaluate protocolsExecute scientific projectsFinancial administrationGeneral office managementGuide staffDesign studyDesign protocolCollect patient forms and questionnairesCommunicate with sponsorConduct literature searchesData analysisData miningData validationData verificationDesign data reporting systemsDesign marketing advertismentsDesign scientific projects (in biology)Implement data reporting systemsProvide scientific input provide scientific input
Ph.D. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology from University of Houston in 2012