i am a fast-learning junior Postdoctoral Neuroscience Researcher with experience in Histology, optical imaging, Microscopy, Proteomics, Surgery, animal handling, and Drug Delivery. during my phd i worked abroad in a top-level Neuroscience Lab in montréal and i collaborated on molecular synthesis, Inflammation, glaucoma and rodent cognitive behaviour. looking to deploy my collaborative spirit and skills in an industry setting to add immediate strategic value.
Postdoctoral Researcher in NeuroscienceLeuven, Belgium
Since January 2015
- organising and leading weekly Lab meetings and draft a summary of each meeting to keep track of individual Student progress as well as following up on general issues.
- optimisation of a new intrinsic signal and voltage-sensitive dye optical imaging system (optical imaging inc.) to characterise multimodal plasticity in the visual cortex of the mouse.
- responsible for the axioimager zeiss Microscope with apotome: helping people when problems occur, give explanation and advice on how to operate hardware and Software, communicate with zeiss to organise introductory courses and schedule maintenance.
- writing grant proposals and reviewing papers (Neuroscience letters, journal of visualized experiments,...).
- Organising and leading weekly lab meetings and draft a summary of each meeting to keep track of individual student progress as well as following up on general issues.
- Optimisation of a new intrinsic signal and voltage-sensitive dye optical imaging system (Optical Imaging Inc.) to characterise multimodal plasticity in the visual cortex of the mouse.
- Responsible for the AxioImager Zeiss microscope with Apotome: helping people when problems occur, give explanation and advice on how to operate hardware and software, communicate with Zeiss to organise introductory courses and schedule maintenance.
- Writing grant proposals and reviewing papers (Neuroscience Letters, Journal of Visualized Experiments,...).
PhD student in Neuroscience Leuven, BelgiumJanuary 2011 --- December 2014
title of phd dissertation: "matrix metalloproteinase-3: a prerequisite for structural and functional plasticity in the visual cortex of the mouse"
the Research objective of my phd was two-fold: the first aim was to gain insight into the mechanistic properties of the matrix metalloproteinase (mmp) protease web by characterizing the structural and functional Phenotype of the visual cortex of adult mmp-3 deficient (mmp- 3-/-) mice. the second aim was to establish a role for mmp-3 in age-dependent cortical plasticity induced by the removal of one eye. this Research was embedded in the host Lab main Research topic concerning the molecular players governing cross-modal plasticity in the visual cortex after sensory deficits (e.g. removing one eye).
techniques: golgi-cox staining, In Vitro Enzyme Kinetics, Immunohistochemistry, Proteomics (Western blot, 2d dige), Microscopy, Drug Delivery (osmotic minipumps), stereotaxy, Surgery (craniotomy, perfusion, pump implantation)
collaborations: prof. dr. claude libert (vib Inflammation Research center, ugent) and prof. dr. wim dehaen (molecular design and synthesis, ku leuven): synthesis and Validation of a specific mmp-12 inhibitor with anti-inflammatory activity In Vitro and In Vivo.
board of examiners:
prof. dr. lutgarde arckens (Supervisor, ku leuven)
prof. dr. godelieve moons (co-Supervisor, ku leuven)
prof. dr. roger huybrechts (Chairman, ku leuven)
prof. dr. patrick van dijck (ku leuven)
dr. tjing-tjing hu (thrombogenics nv)
prof. dr. claude libert (vib Inflammation Research center, ugent)
prof. dr. tommaso pizzorusso (institute of Neuroscience , pisa, italy)
Visiting Researcher at University of Montréal, School of Optometry Montreal, QC, CanadaAugust 2014 --- November 2014
i learned intrinsic signal and voltage-sensitive dye optical imaging of the visual cortex in rabbit and mouse at the Lab of prof. c. casanova.
i functioned in a top-level Lab environment and worked closely together with a team of engineers, physicists, ophtalmologists and technicians to perform high-demanding long duration In Vivo imaging experiments.
Analytical thinkingCollaborationCreative thinkingEfficiencyProactivitySociabilityKindnessResiliency
Western Blotting Scientific writingNeuroplasticityMatrix metalloproteinasesinhibitorsEnzymesDrug DeliveryneuroanatomyImagingrabbit Animal modelsResearchLaTeXImmunofluorescenceImmunohistochemistry (IHC)In VivoEnglish Cell biologymolecular biologyProteomicsMass SpectrometryMousecortexNeuroscienceMedical writingCNS
Skills and Expertise
Histologyneuroplasticitymass spectrometry imagingenzyme kineticsoptical imagingproteomicsin situ hybridizationTeachingmicroscopyDrug deliveryWestern blotting2-D DIGERodent surgery
Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Physiology, General from KU Leuven in 2010
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Biology, General from KU Leuven in 2008
in Latin - Sciences from Onze-Lieve-Vrouw-van-Lourdescollege Edegem/Mortsel in 2005
Training and Certification
BioSCENTer Life Sciences Tech Watch. in 2013 Training
Intelectual Property Managment (26h) in 2012 Training
Practical introduction to electrophysiology and proteomics (Leibniz Institute for Neuroscience, LIN, Magdeburg, Germany) in 2012 Training
VIB Zeiss microscopy course (8h) in 2010 Training
Educational Program for teaching assistents in 2011 Certification
FELASA C (expert laboratory animal leader) in 2011 Certification
Radioactivity training course in 2010 Certification
Legislation Laboratory Animal Science session in 0000 Certification
Expert has 7 publications (Will be avalible with full profile)