- I am a scientist with expertise in the areas of metabolic and neurological diseases.
- I use my scientific and writing skills by writing blogs about developments in gene therapy for patients with inherited retinal diseases.
- I would like to understand more of clinical research and thus have completed (MBA) modules about “clinical research management and regulatory affairs” and “project management”.
- I have been active in advising for and implementing of policies regarding young faculty as the founder of the postdoc association (150 members) at the University of Lausanne.
- I've worked in several European countries, and therefore I do not only speak Dutch but also English, French and German.
- I have been secretary and education specialist for the Dutch Climbing and Mountaineering Association (50.000 members).
- I am someone who quickly masters a new field and takes initiative when I notice that a process can run more efficiently.
Since November 2011
- I study the role of brain sugar sensing in the regulation of whole-body sugar levels. I focus on the differences and similarities between males and females.
- Techniques used: amongst others, genetic mouse models, metabolic techniques such as calorimetry, Clarity, tissue and single-cell mRNA analysis using RT-q-PCR, ELISA and the cloning and sequencing of plasmids for RNA probes.
- In this position I have mastered neuroscience and all associated modern techniques, learned French and acquired knowledge regarding University policy in Switzerland. The layer of young faculty appeared invisible at the University of Lausanne urging me to found an association that could speak for this employee layer.
March 2009 --- March 2012
Collaborator on International Society for Alzheimer Research (ISAO) project which investigates the effect of insulin resistance on cognitive and affective behaviour and plaque development, Principal Investigator E. Van Donkelaar, PhD. I have advised on the studies that the researchers in this project wanted to perform on the connection between AD and type 2 diabetes. When the grant was approved I have supervised a master student on this project during her experiments in relation to type 2 diabetes.
September 2007 --- October 2011
- I have studied the change in the fatty acid intake of the diabetic heart.
- Techniques: rat and mouse models for in vivo and in vitro studies on cardiomyocytes and heart metabolism, eg adenovirus production, cardiomyocyte isolation and culture, mouse echocardiography and HPLC.
- In this position, I had to use my skills in the areas of planning, collaboration and flexibility. My four supervisors were based throughout the Netherlands and Germany. To graduate within four years, I had to coincide my schedule with their calendars and keep all four of them motivated for my project by communication regularly and clearly with everyone.
Chief Routesetting and Climbing Instructor
September 2002 --- September 2011
Chief Routesetting: maintenance of routes, development of routesetting courses, organisation of routesetting evenings. Climbing Instructor: Indoor and Outdoor. Groups of two to ten persons.
Education Program Specialist
January 2004 --- January 2010
I have been the president of the education committee of the Maastricht Student Alpine Club. With my committeemembers I have developed and implemented a new education program. Afterwards, I have been a member of the national committee for the implementation of the European guidelines for sports education programs at the Royal Dutch Climbing and Mountaineering association.
October 2001 --- December 2006
Demmeniesport has been bought by Kathmandu: http://www.kathmandu.nl/outdoor-en-travel/home.html
January 2005 --- December 2005
Dept. Neuroscience, European Graduate School of Neuroscience, supervised by Dr. B. Rutten. Working on caloric restriction in Alzheimer’s disease, e.g. Rutten BP et al., The aging brain: accumulation of DNA damage or neuron loss?, Neurobiol Aging, 2007 Jan;28(1):91-8.
ApproachabilityCoordinationEfficiencyOptimismProactivityResiliencyResult OrientedWillingness to compromiseOrganizationInterest in knowledgeKindness
Diabetes Animal models Scientific writingActions and modes of action of human physiologyCardiovascular diseasesCell SignalingClinical researchCNSCommunication SkillsData AnalysisEndocrinology and metabolismEnglishEthics submission and approval processEvent ManagementGeneticsGraphPad PrismInnovation ManagementLeadershipLife SciencesMicrosoft PowerpointMicrosoft WordNeuroscienceOphthalmologyPatient recruitmentPhysiologyProject PlanningResearchScientific CommunicationsTeamworkUnderstanding of regulatory guidelines
Skills and Expertise
Analyze data Develop protocols Interpret dataassess the needs of the project(s)/program(s) and make changes in process, work flow and/or assignments.Cell cultureCoach staffCommunicationWrite papersValidate dataUse laboratory techniquesSource animalsSet up research projectsPublish scientific projectsPresent data at congressOrganize scientific projects (in biology)Manage research projectslifescience
Certificate in MBA Management of technology-based Entreprise. Clinical trial management and regulatory affairs. from Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne in 2016
B1 in French language from Ecole Club Migros in 2013
Certificate in Global Health: An Interdisciplinary Overview from coursera in 2013
German language, B1 level. in from Ecole Club Migros in 2013
MSc in Clinical Molecular Sciences with a minor in neuromuscular development from Universiteit Maastricht / Maastricht University in 2007
Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Molecular Lifesciences from Universiteit Maastricht / Maastricht University in 2005
Propedeuse in Architecture from Eindhoven University of Technology in 2002
Gymnasium diploma in Nederlands,Engels,Grieks,WiskundeA,WiskundeB,Biologie,Natuurkunde,Scheikunde,Aardrijkskunde,Tekenen from Stedelijk Gymnasium Nijmegen in 2001
Training and Certification
Project Management in 2016 Training
Healthcare Innovation and Entrepreneurship Certification
Illustrator for beginners Certification
Sustainability of Food Systems: A Global Life Cycle Perspective Certification
Training in Project Management (according to ISO standards) Certification
Expert has 19 publications (Will be avalible with full profile)