A pragmatic, dedicated senior researcher (physical-organic chemist) specialized in organic materials for (opto-)electronics who likes to tackle complex problems and is ready for other challenges in research. I enjoy working in an interdisciplinary environment, stimulating others and connecting people with different backgrounds to deliver innovative concepts and results in team. I have strong communication skills, especially across disciplines and at all levels of the organization and a clear and concise presentation style.
Post-doctoral researcher Diepenbeek, Belgium
September 2006 --- August 2012
- Started research on polythiophene nanofiber preparation and characterization in collaboration with CEA Grenoble. Initiated collaboration with the UHasselt physics dept., resulting in a publication and an E-MRS conference oral presentation.
- Developed a novel way to control the fraction of crystalline polymer nanofibers in the active layer of organic solar cells. Collaboration with the UHasselt physics dept. lead to a patent and two papers.
- Initiated and lead a research project on poly(3-alkylthiophene)s and crystalline nanofibers made from these polymers in relation to transistor performance which lead to funding for several PhD and postdoc projects (7 fte in total), 8 publications of which 4 in high impact journals, several presentations at (international) conferences and caught international attention.
- Developed a ‘building block’ for the up-scalable synthesis of a range of n-type small molecules with specific electronic properties (e. high electron mobility, LUMO level around -4.5 eV, air stable FET operation) as well as small molecule semiconductors with other properties.
- Supervised a lab-assistant and several PhD students leading to a PhD Thesis Committee Membership for four of them.
- Responsible for the timely completion of several Work Packages of European Projects.
- Stimulated research on the role of charge-transfer complexes in organic solar cells in the UHasselt physics department, ultimately leading to collaboration, higher quality research and 2 publications.
- Contributed to the long-term research vision of the UHasselt physics department.
- Wrote a European Science Foundation - Exchange Grant proposal for a scientist from abroad to collaborate with us in Hasselt University, which was granted.
- Represented the head of the department in several project meetings and in a seminar (presentation).
Marie-Curie Host Fellow & Experienced Researcher FP6 Diepenbeek, Belgium
September 2004 --- September 2006
- Improved the polymerization protocol for the synthesis of poly(3-alkylthiophene) semiconducting polymers via the Rieke method (1 publication). This allowed the synthesis and characterization of several (functionalised) polymeric semiconductors and demonstration of state-of-the-art P3HT/PCBM solar cell efficiencies by IMEC.
- Transferred this knowledge to a PhD student and guided him in his research on solar cells from functionalized poly(3-alkylthiophene)s, resulting in a finished PhD and 3 co-authored publications.
Post-doctoral researcher Diepenbeek, Belgium
April 2004 --- August 2004
- Synthesized and characterised several small molecule p-type semiconductors for use in organic electronic devices within the context of an EU-project.
- Collaboration with IMEC to produce a light-emitting field-effect transistor with one of these molecules, resulting in 2 publications.
PhD student Utrecht, Netherlands
October 1996 --- September 2002
- Elucidated photo-induced charge separation and recombination kinetics in a special kind of organic molecules, both in solution and in the solid state resulting in 5 first-author publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Thesis (defended 9 September 2002): Electron Transfer in Donor–Bridge–Acceptor Systems and Derived Materials.
- Have taught practical organic chemistry courses to chemistry and medical biology students.
Attention to detailAnalytical thinkingCollaborationCritical thinkingStrategic thinking
Skills and Expertise
Guide students Write papersCoach staffConduct research at universitiesConduct university research Data analysisManuscript preparation and reviewOral presentationSupervise techniciansGuide staff
Master in Chemistry from Utrecht University in 1996
Bachelor in Chemistry from Utrecht University in 1993
Training and Certification
The Power of Macroeconomics: Economic Principles in the Real World – UCIrvine, Coursera.org in 2014 Training
The Power of Microeconomics: Economic Principles in the Real World – UCIrvine, Coursera.org in 2014 Training
Adhesion Science and Technology (8 & 9 December) – IMEC, Leuven in 2008 Training
Leadership Course* – Royal Dutch Chemical Society (KNCV), Utrecht in 2003 Training