i'm currently at the final phase of a phd in Biomedical Sciences at the ku leuven. my phd concerns the Carbohydrate coat of hiv and potential future therapeutic strategies targeting these Carbohydrate structures. i plan to defend my phd by october 2015 and am therefore looking for job opportunities starting at the earliest mid october 2015.
as i am highly eager to learn and to broaden my horizon, i would very much like to find out more about potential interesting vacancies in several sectors. although i'm very passionate about science, i'm also interested in job opportunies with a more business-minded character. in addition, as i very much enjoy presenting and writing scientific data to a general or Expert audience, i would also like to hear more about job opportunities as a science communicator.
thank you for your time and consideration. i am looking forward to hearing from you.
PhD studentLeuven, België
Since October 2011
title phd thesis: hiv-1 envelope glycoproteins and their susceptibility as target for selective antiretroviral therapy
Supervisor: prof. dr. jan balzarini
- during my phd, i learned how to work independently and in team. i collaborated with several international laboratories.
- most of the hands-on work in the Lab, i performed individually, which taught me how to analyze results, solve problems and critically evaluate procedures.
- i’m experienced in writing scientific Publications and presenting scientific data to a multicultural audience, both orally and by using scientific posters. in 2014, my poster won the second award on the ku leuven departmental day of Microbiology and Immunology.
- i’m used to work on a tight schedule, i proved myself capable of coping with deadlines.
- during the course of my phd, i learned how to be innovative and flexible by redirecting my Research according to the obtained results.
- i’m eager to learn and thus followed many of the available courses offered by the doctoral school of the ku leuven, mostly but not exclusively concerning written and oral Communication Skills.
- i was granted a ‘for women in science’ fellowship of l’oréal-unesco to obtain a phd. in belgium, this prestigious fellowship is only granted to 3 promising female researchers every 2 years.
Title PhD thesis: HIV-1 envelope glycoproteins and their susceptibility as target for selective antiretroviral therapy
Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Jan Balzarini
- During my PhD, I learned how to work independently and in team. I collaborated with several international laboratories.
- Most of the hands-on work in the lab, I performed individually, which taught me how to analyze results, solve problems and critically evaluate procedures.
- I’m experienced in writing scientific publications and presenting scientific data to a multicultural audience, both orally and by using scientific posters. In 2014, my poster won the second award on the KU Leuven Departmental Day of Microbiology and Immunology.
- I’m used to work on a tight schedule, I proved myself capable of coping with deadlines.
- During the course of my PhD, I learned how to be innovative and flexible by redirecting my research according to the obtained results.
- I’m eager to learn and thus followed many of the available courses offered by the doctoral school of the KU Leuven, mostly but not exclusively concerning written and oral communication skills.
- I was granted a ‘For Women In Science’ fellowship of L’Oréal-UNESCO to obtain a PhD. In Belgium, this prestigious fellowship is only granted to 3 promising female researchers every 2 years.
Analytical thinkingPerspectiveProactivityProblem solvingResiliencySelf-confidenceSelf-disciplineStrivingStrategic thinkingOrganizationInterest in knowledgeFlexibilityAssertivenessAttention to detailCompetitivenessCritical thinkingDiligenceCuriosityEfficiencyIndependenceOptimism
Flow CytometryFluorescence MicroscopyImmunofluorescenceIn VitroInfectious diseasesInterpret systematic reviewsLaboratoryMedical writingMicrobiologyMicroscopyMicrosoft ExcelMicrosoft Officemolecular biologyMolecular CloningOxidative stressPCRPowerPointProblem-solving methods and troubleshootingProcess improvementRT-PCRScientific methodologySDS-PAGESearch literature on clinical trialsTransfectionVirologyWestern BlottingWomens Health Cell biology Biostatistics Scientific writingActions and modes of action of drugs in the human speciesAntibodiesBioavailabilityBioinformaticsBiological Drug DevelopmentCell CultureData AnalysisData ManagementDNADNA extractionDNA sequencingDrug development processDrug InteractionDrug safety assessmentEnzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA)
Skills and Expertise
Analyze data Develop protocols Interpret data Report data Write papersAdjust processes and methodsCollaborate with project teamCollaborate with principal investigatorCommunicate with investigatorConduct literature searchesConduct research at universitiesData validationData verificationEvaluate protocolsExecute scientific projectslifescienceManuscript preparation and reviewOrganize scientific projects (in biology)Present data at congressPublication of articlesSolve problemsStatistical analysis
Master in Biomedical Sciences from KU Leuven in 2011
Bachelor in Biomedical Sciences from KU Leuven in 2009
Training and Certification
Master thesis: Retargeting of lentiviral integration with LEDGF/p75 hybrids in 2011 Training
Master in Biomedical Sciences in 2011 Certification
Bachelor in Biomedical Sciences in 2009 Certification
Expert has 4 publications (Will be avalible with full profile)