Lab Manager Antwerp, Belgium
Since November 2011
Position: Lab Manager Clinical Pathology (klinische biologie)
- Daily operational management of clinical diagnostic lab (clinical chemistry, hematology & microbiology)
- Liaison between laboratory & technical, Information, financial and human resources departments
- Project leader of different projects such as lab automation, electronic order communication, resource planning, ...
- Contact person & follow up of clincial trials within the lab
- Reorganisation of corelab in terms of workstations, workplanning and education
- Implementation of new automation system
- Lab lead for electronic order communication system within the hospital
- Many Lean projects to optimize lab processes and increase efficiency
Reports to managing director UZA
Director Screening & Diagnostic Lab Operations Beerse, Belgium
June 2008 --- October 2011
Within the C.R.E.A.Te Global Research Capabilities organization, I was leading a team of (approx. 80) scientists working on Drug Discovery & Diagnostics in infectious diseases, Neurosciences and Oncology.
- Key role in successfully move all Mechelen biology laboratories to the Beerse site, within timelines & budget.
- Integrate 2 discovery research teams & leverage capabilities, with very different histories and cultures. Design and implement new processes and policies, combining the best elements of the 2 teams. This includes scientific components, operational efficiency, HS&E (Health, Safety & Environment), Human resources policies, IT systems and others.
- Active participate in Global Functional Excellence workshops, connecting & leveraging global Research capabilities
- Initiate, present & execute proposal to carve-out diagnostic commercial activities from CREATe
- Design & implementation of the departmental strategy; align globally with US peers, ensure fit with global strategy
- Management of all screening (& diagnostic) lab operations on Beerse site
Director Virology Lab Operations Mechelen, Belgium
June 2001 --- May 2008
Acquisition of the company by Johnson & Johnson in 2002
Evolved from Manager Central Drug Screening to Director Virology Lab Operations
Leading a team of > 80 scientist working on Drug discovery & diagnostics on infectious diseases
- Development and Implementation of High Throughput Screening (HTS) for HIV and HCV; consisting of assay development, screening, compound profiling, LIMS development, reporting & compound tracking.
- Implementation of matrix structure as operating model: gain buy-in & trust of scientific project leaders, set up adequate resource planning, budget preparation & follow-up, ...
- 2007: Optimize processes with maximal use of synergies between Diagnostic & Discovery research labs, respecting fire-wall and patient confidentiality requirements as well as the quality and compliance standards needed in a CAP-CLIA accredited diagnostic environment.
Production & Lims Manager Antwerp, Belgium
October 1997 --- May 2001
Small biotech company specialized in HIV resistance testing
Evolved from Lab technician Molecular Biology to Production & LIMS Manager
Team leader of 6 laboratory technicians
Drug DiscoveryDiagnosticsClinical Pathologymolecular biologyChange ManagementHealthcare ManagementLaboratory ManagementOperations Managementpeople managementTeam ManagementTime ManagementProject Management
Skills and Expertise
Planning and organisationdecision makinganalytical thinkingConflict handlingCommunicationTeamwork
Master in Bio-Engineer Sciences, specialized in cell-and gene-technologies. in Bioscience engineering from University of Leuven in 1997
Training and Certification
Harvard Business School: JnJ Strategic leadership program (1 week course) in 2010 Training
UCT Graduate School of Business: Ascend JnJ EMEA Women Leadership Program in 2008 Certification
Vlerick Management School: Young Management Program (1 year program) in 2006 Certification