As bachelor in Pharmaceutical & Biological Techniques (Katholieke Hogeschool Leuven – Rega) with a broad experience in both academical (VUB & KU Leuven) and private sector (SES Vanderhave, Tienen), I believe this opportunity would be a great match for me.
I have a practical expertise in many research techniques and lab organization. I’m recognized for my attention to detail, tenacity and high quality of my work. I repeatedly demonstrated my capability to independently manage complex assignments.
Lab Technician - Gene-screening team Tienen, Belgium
Since January 2007
SESVANDERHAVE Research and Development is making best use of the advances in plant biology for breeding improved seed by acting indirectly or directly on the DNA. A collection of tools are applied to analyse and screen DNA information for the traits expressed in the sugar beet, manage and select genetic combinations and recombination based on actual genetic information in individual plants or in populations crossed by the breeder and to modify the genetic information (and thus the trait encoded by the genes) by adding novel pieces of genetic information, or by using random or targeted mutagenesis to change the genetic information in the genome to alter a trait.
The Gene Screening department supports the breeding by:
- Verification of crossings by genotyping
- Selection of resistance characteristics based on SNP technology
- Testing of markers to map the sugar beet genome
My main roles & responsibilities
- Project organisation (manage an ever increasing demand for research)
- DNA extraction & dilution
- DNA printing and PCR-analysis
- Data scoring (Gene Mapper, Kraken & Klims)
- Perform and report on data analysis using advanced Excel & Mapcharts
- Reporting to internal and external customers
- Member of security committee for labs
- Practical organisation of the lab & maintenance of database of sample inventories
Lab Technician Leuven, Belgium
April 2001 --- January 2007
Research projects Prof D. Collen (Staphylokinase and WES medium)
After following GLP-training, responsible for implementation of GLP in the research lab and creation of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
Stem cell research
Evaluation of newly developed media for long term expansion of hematopoietic and mesenchymal stem cells from human naval cord blood and bone marrow (in-vitro selection) and characterisation of stem cell populations through DNA manipulation (extraction, cell culture, PCR, Southern Blot), flowcytometry, Functional Human Progenitor Assays and in-vivo human engraftment in immune-deficient NOD/SCID mice.
“TX-WES : A new cell culture medium that allows stroma-free ex-vivo long term expansion of adult CD34+ umbilical cord blood cell”. Brunaud C., Eeckelaerts H., Stijns S., Stassen JM., Schoonjans J., Collen D.
- 1ste annual Flemish biotech convention, Gent June 2005
- 2nd and 3rd annual meeting International Society for Stem Cell Research, Boston 2004; San Francisco 2005.
- 6th International Cord Blood Society Congress, Boston 2004 (prize for the best poster).
Creation of new Staphylokinase varieties with reduced antigens (or reduced immunity) and evaluation of biological and thrombolytic properties in vitro (identification of T-cell epitopes). Perform stability tests, flowcytometry en cell culture.
Lab Technician Brussels, Belgium
October 1999 --- March 2001
Research on control mechanisms for insulin production and phenotypical characterisation of knock-out animal models with type II diabetes (hormone analysis, DNA chips, perfusion and perifusion).
Analytical thinkingAuthenticityAttention to detailCritical thinkingDiligenceIndependenceInterest in knowledgeOptimismOrganizationResiliencySelf-disciplineSociability
Bachelor in Pharmaceutical & Biological Techniques from Katholieke Hogeschool Leuven - Rega, in 1999