I’m a Biochemist with a PhD in Organic Chemistry, working for more than 15 years in materials sciences and formulation.
Till two years ago, I worked mostly in the academic world in R&D of innovative biomedical materials and smart textiles. During that time, I was managing different European Projects, collaborations and partnerships with the industry, some of them resulting in several patents and product development.
For the last two years I embraced a new challenge: I was invited to join Agrosavfe, a Biotech start-up/spin-off company dedicated to target controlled delivery of actives for crop protection. At Agrosavfe, I formed the Formulation Department. Besides the creation of innovative formulations and new concept strategies, I was the responsible for finding the researchers with the right profile to join the young department, as well as selecting and purchasing the appropriate equipment to start.
At this moment I am the Head of the Formulation Development Department, dividing my activities between the innovation platform, the management of the team, the coordination of the adequate service suppliers and the management of external collaborations.
I'm a fast learner and very dynamic person with special interest in, technology, innovation and application development. My management skills with people and projects, as well as soft skills dealing with partners, clients, and even competition, are one of my strong points. In this way, I’m able to successfully adapt and apply a strong practical work experience with management, organization and networking skills in different situations and to different personalities.
Head of Formulation Development Ghent- Belgium
Since May 2013
- Implementation of the Formulation department and laboratories of Agrosavfe (a start-up, spin-off Biotech company).
- Training of the formulation researchers.
- Formulation development for target delivery of actives for crop protection.
- Management of the formulation department and external projects.
Biomaterials R&D Ghent and Antwerp-Belgium
January 2005 --- April 2013
- Characterization of electrospun materials by surface analysis methods (Marie Curie Grant).
- Development and characterization of nanofibres via electrospinning for liver regeneration (HEPSTEM-IWT-SBO Project)
- Synthesis of polymer drug carriers for antimycotics (Project in collaboration with pharmaceutical industries and polymer process industries).
- Development of vascular grafts based on electrospun materials (Project Biomedical Engineering for improved Diagnosis and Patient-Tailored Treatment of Aortic Aneurysms and Dissection).
- Development of high efficiency glucose sensors with nanofibre components (GlucoSens-IWT Project).
- Development of cleaning elements for optical applications (EP2CON IWT-O&O Project). Inventor of the 3 patents.
- Processing of polymers into nanofibres for cardiovascular applications (Heart-e-Gel Project).
R&D in Natural Polymers Coimbra-Portugal
January 2000 --- December 2004
- Development and characterization of biomaterials based on natural polymers.
AdaptabilityAnalytical thinkingAttention to detailCreative thinkingCuriosityEfficiencyEmotional reactivityInnovative thinkingIndependenceProactivityStrategic thinkingSociabilityProblem solving
Biochemistry Medical devices R&D Scientific writingBiotechnologyProject ManagementTeam LeadershipStrategic PlanningFormulationAgrochemicalsBiotechnologyBiopesticidesBiomaterialsSurface modificationBioconjugation
Skills and Expertise
Conduct literature searchesConduct university research Oral presentationWritten presentationWrite papersmanagement Product development management
PhD in Chemistry in Organic Chemistry, Polymers and Biomaterials from University of Ghent in 2010
Post Garduation in Biochemical Engineering in Biochemistry and Polymer Chemistry from University of Coimbra in 2004
Licenciature in Biochemistry in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology from University of Coimbra in 1998