Chief Marketing Officer
Since September 2007
• Responsible for driving the entire global marketing structure at Insightra; through rapid product development and acquisitions. Empowering the brand to support $10 million of sales through three core product lines in general surgery, cardiology and vascular access. • Managing a remote global team of high calibre medical device marketers, professional education managers and clinical support staff across four continents. • Designing and building brand architecture across 50+ countries through direct sales channels and distribution networks. • Product development initiatives through strategic partners such as Johnson & Johnson, Medline, and Symmetry Surgical. • Driving complex C-level daily activity across functions with general management, sales, R&D, QARA, and operations. • Responsibility for all aspects of marketing, professional education and clinical affairs. • Working directly with the board on strategy, financing and M&A – to drive launch and then growth initiatives. • Working closely with the investment community, VC and PE firms through four complex but successful rounds of multi million dollar financing.
Medical Device Entrepreneur - Consulting
Since June 2007
A serial entrepreneur within the field of medical devices specializing in Go to Market strategies and strategic business planning. Consulting to the medical device industry for both MNCs and Start Ups with a speciality in medical device strategy and business development. A knowledge of the different global regions having worked with US, Europe, Asia Pacific and South American regions and multiple public and private healthcare systems. Working with multiple companies focused on rapid growth with a knowledge of Early Stage Med Tech backed by venture capital companies, investment funds and strategic investors. Specialty knowledge in Cardio Vascular Surgery, Cardiology, General surgery, laparoscopy, endoscopy and women's health.
Chief Marketing Officer & New Business Development
September 2007 --- July 2012
• Co founded an exciting new start-up in the field of natural orifice surgery creating the entire brand and product pipeline strategy. • Co-raised over $3 million to secure IP, initial concept development and within 2 years launch the first commercial product in Europe and Asia. • Managed a challenging, yet ground breaking first in man clinical study in Chile for the endoscopic removal of the appendix via colonoscopy. • Co invented technology that has formed the basis of over twenty patent applications and multiple granted patents. • Running multiple strategic M&A activities with potential corporate acquiring companies.
Vice President : International
November 2005 --- May 2007
• Responsible for all commercial and clinical operations outside of the United States for a ground-breaking heart failure technology. • Based in Switzerland and responsible for the rapid commercialization of the Orqis products by setting up distribution and strategic business platforms in Europe and Asia. • P&L responsibility for the OUS operations, working with the finance team in Switzerland and an operations partner in The Nederland. • Responsible for recruiting and running the OUS clinical team of specialists, and gaining immediate traction with the new technology through deep clinical support. • Envisioning and creating the OUS commercial presence at events such as Euro PCR to promote the therapy, technology and company. • Building intimate relations with cardiovascular opinion leaders and becoming a member of the board of the European Cardiology Society company working group. • Driving clinical input to the USA PMA trial through hands on experience in the OUS environment.
European Director of Marketing - Gynecare
January 2003 --- November 2005
• A strategic position on the European sales and marketing board of the women’s health franchise reporting to the VP Europe. • Ownership and development of the European wide marketing for the direct countries and influence management of the extended marketing team across the non-direct countries. Eight direct reports and twenty through matrix management. • Developing successful “go to market” strategies for the entire Gynecare product platform for the EMEA region including the European strategy for direct to consumer campaigns. • Year over year sustained sales growth of existing and launch products smashing through double-digit growth. • Working closely with the US marketing team and global product directors to successfully launch multiple significant growth platforms for over $100 million. • Liaison with new business development to ensure a robust and full multi generational product portfolio of products to sustain double digit growth. • European marketing OPEX line of the EU P&L responsibility to ensure profitable year after year growth. • Close working with R&D on the development and launch of several globally known and successful product platforms, including next generation TVT. Named co-inventor on several of the technologies. • Nurturing the close relationships to IUGA and other important societies, working closely with the key opinion leaders to keep current on key market trends, garner product feedback from the SAB, and identify new and exciting technologies.
European Business Director - GEA Platform
January 2001 --- January 2003
• An EMEA role managing the “global endometrial ablation” platform for both sales and marketing. Reporting into the Vice President for Europe and working through matrix influence with the direct country sales managers. • European input to the global product pipeline for multiple generations of GEA technology advancements. • Setting a success strategy to reinvigorate a declining sales performance as part of a difficult turn around, through focus and strategic initiatives. • Identification and evaluation of a next generation platform, competing technology to acquire, or breakthrough whitespace alternatives such as drug eluting intrauterine devices by strategic partnerships with Pharma companies. • Year over year contribution to the turn around and successful double-digit sales growth of the platform across the EMEA.
European Business Director
January 1999 --- January 2001
• An integral part of the founding teams for a new business venture within the successful Ethicon franchise – CardioVations. Created the brand name and corporate identity for the division. • Setting the European strategy for a cardiovascular product offering based on several R&D projects and small licensing deals. • Launched several revolutionary products to the growing EMEA sales team through the direct sales force and the matrix organization of Ethicon. • Close working with the R&D skunk works team on the development of breakthrough next generation technologies. • Drove EMEA market input for the successful acquisition of Heartport – a Redwood, CA. start-up in the field of cardiac surgery. • Created strategies and product launches that developed exponential growth in the EMEA cardiovascular line. • Hiring a group of pan European clinical cardiac specialists to launch a professional education support structure for complex and critical technologies.
European Business Development Projects
January 1999 --- January 2001
• Assigned to several critical EU wide wide growth initiatives deigned to boost sales with extra pull though. The Single Use / Multi Use initiative being the most significant. • Exploration of the fledgling robotics technology for use in cardiovascular surgery with assessment of Intuitive Surgical and Computer Motion. • Exploratory product pipeline initiatives for pain management such as the ON-Q pain pumps.
UK National Marketing Manager Hernia
January 1997 --- January 1999
Regional Sales Manager
January 1996 --- January 1997
January 1990 --- January 1996
Innovative thinkingAdaptabilityCuriosityInterest in knowledgeProactivityStrategic thinking
Bachelor’s Degree in Physiology from University of Leeds (UK) in 1990